Two years ago I found an absolutely gorgeous raspberry eyelet in the clearance section of the fabric store. So dramatic, so perfect for my girls. I bought what I thought would be enough for one dress. When I came home I decided that I could make two with the amount I had. This is what I ended up with:
The bodice is great. I love how the border design covers nearly the whole bodice front. I also love the bound sleeve. It's cute and perfect. What wasn't perfect was that skimpy skirt. It just isn't big enough. The girls didn't like the skirt either and told me the dresses were hard to walk in. Naturally, since they didn't like the skirt, they didn't wear the dress. So I had two dresses made from expensive eyelet just sitting around never getting used.
Well, my cousin is getting married and she asked my two youngest girls if they would like to help out at the reception. Since one of the colors is raspberry pink, I thought it was time to get those dresses out and put them through a redo.
Next I cut one skirt half up the center so I had a seam to put the zipper in up the back. Then I sewed all the skirt pieces together. I layered the the lining to the skirt and basted them together. I used a couching stitch over lightweight fishing line to gather the skirt. I sewed the skirt to the bodice and then sewed the zipper back in.
She's very happy with it. She's been super picky about her dresses lately and won't wear anything with tulle in it because "it's itchy." This dress gives her another option. It's comfy cotton and there are no itchy spots anywhere. Of course, now I only have one dress when I used to have two, but it was worth it. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the other bodice. ;)