Thursday, May 17, 2012

Burda 9491: Girl's jumpsuit

I've been sewing again!  I love this little jumpsuit. You can't tell from the picture but the fabric is actually very thin pink and white stripes. It turned out just like i pictured it in my head, which is really quite rare.   I'm very glad I did the contrast fabric in the pocket yoke and the brown piping and those cute brown buttons.  My daughter loves it and wanted to wear it two days in a row to school.  

The pattern is listed as average difficultly and that seemed about right to me.  The pin tucks and standing collar were a pain.  The pattern has you cut two rectangles, add the pin tucks to those and then cut the yoke from those.  The pattern does not specify exactly how small the pin tucks are supposed to be, so you get to guess.  When I used my pin tuck foot (that gives me very straight pleats) I ended up with too small a piece to cut the yoke from.  I had to start over and cut new rectangles that were quite a bit bigger.  I figured something around 9" wide was a nice, generous size to work with.  

Once I got past the yoke hurdle, the rest went together pretty quickly.  The techniques were pretty standard.  In fact, the construction technique was really educational.  My older girls are very jealous of their little sister's jumpsuit.  I think I can take a button up shirt pattern and a basic shorts pattern and put them together to create a jumpsuit pattern for them using the techniques from the Burda pattern.  We'll see if I can get that done sometime soon.  I have a lot of other sewing to do in the immediate future.  Summer vacation starts in a little over a week, so I need to get busy if my kids are going to get the shorts they need!